The overarching goals of NYGEAR UP is to significantly increase the number of participating low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education or training.
NYGEAR UP is designed to meet the following objectives:
1. Increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of participating students, with an emphasis on career readiness and college fit;
2. Increase the rate of high school graduation, with an emphasis on college and career readiness;
3. Increase participation in postsecondary education of participating students with an emphasis on college fit and alignment with high-demand fields and sectors of the economy;
4. Increase participation in postsecondary education of participating students without need for remedial coursework;
5. Increase the rate of college persistence and completion of participating students; and
6. Increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing.